The Office of the Executive Secretary defended on Tuesday the legal basis for the decision of the Office of the President to release the PhP221.424-million confidential fund to the office of Vice President Sara Duterte last year.
In a statement, the OES said that the confidential fund was released in compliance with Special Provision No. 1 under the 2022 Contingent Fund, authorizing the Office of the President (OP) to approve releases to cover funding requirements of new or urgent activities that need to be implemented.
“The release was done pursuant to Special Provision No. 1 under FY 2022 Contingent Fund. Under Special Provision No. 1, the President is authorized to approve releases to cover funding requirements of new or urgent activities of NGA (national government agencies), among others, that need to be implemented during the year,” the OES said.
The OES also emphasized that President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. saw the need to release the fund in support of Vice President Duterte’s initiative, upon the recommendation of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM).
“Vice President Sara, who was newly elected then, needed funds for her new programs for the remaining period of 2022. The President supported this initiative and released the funds, with the favorable recommendation of DBM,” the EOS added.
The office of Vice President Duterte requested the OP to release PhP221.424 million for maintenance operating and other expenses (MOOE) items such as Financial Assistance/Subsidy amounting to PhP96.424 million and Confidential Funds (for newly created satellite offices) in the amount of PhP125.0 million.
The fund is chargeable against the FY 2022 Contingent Fund. PND